Monthly Archives:November 2018

WINNIPEG — A health-care aide’s alcohol addiction qualifies as a disability, and her employer was wrong to fire her for drinking off the job, a Manitoba human rights adjudicator has ruled.

Linda Horrocks is entitled to be reinstated, receive three years back pay and an additional $10,000 for injury to her dignity, independent adjudicator Sherri Walsh said in a report released Tuesday.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

“The issue for determination in this matter is not whether the complainant was drinking on a given day but rather whether (the employer) made reasonable efforts to accommodate the complainant as soon as it was aware that she had a disability and special needs associated with that disability,” Walsh wrote.

Horrocks was suspended from work at a personal care home in Flin Flon run by the Northern Regional Health Authority in June 2011 after a co-worker complained that she was drunk at work, according to evidence presented at the human rights board hearing.

She signed an agreement that allowed her to return to work on several conditions, including that she abstain from alcohol both on and off the job and seek counselling.

Horrocks was fired a year later when her employer received two reports that she had been drinking outside of work — once in a grocery store and once during a phone call with a manager.

Horrocks denied consuming alcohol and said she had been undergoing addiction counselling. She eventually filed a complaint with the Manitoba Human Rights Commission, which appointed Walsh to hear the matter.

The regional health authority told the hearing that it had tried to accommodate Horrocks but also needed to protect the safety of people in the health care system.

Walsh ruled that alcohol addiction amounts to a disability under the human rights code, citing a 2013 ruling in a similar case.

She also ruled the health authority failed to accommodate Horrocks’ disability because it did not seek advice from experts in drawing up conditions for her return to work in 2011.

“Instead, I find that members of the (health authority’s) staff relied on their experiences with other staff who had required accommodation relating to addiction and on their own personal experiences,” Walsh wrote.

“Information of that sort is precisely the type of information that cannot be relied on as the basis for accommodating an employee. Each individual is entitled to an accommodation which is based on an individualized assessment of his or her specific needs.”

A spokesperson for the health authority said there would be no immediate comment.

©2015

NEW YORK – Subway co-founder Fred DeLuca died Monday evening after being diagnosed with leukemia two years ago, the company said Tuesday. He was 67.

DeLuca’s death came weeks after the 50th anniversary of Subway, which has become the world’s biggest restaurant chain by locations.

DeLuca decided to open a sandwich shop at the age of 17 to help pay for college after graduating high school. The idea came from a family friend, Peter Buck, who was co-founder and provided the $1,000 to start the business.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

READ MORE: Subway failed to investigate ‘serious’ complaint about Jared Fogle

“I knew nothing about making sandwiches, nor the food industry,” DeLuca later wrote in a book.

DeLuca and Buck opened their first store in Bridgeport, Connecticut, in August 1965 under the name “Pete’s Super Submarines,” with the priciest sub selling for 69 cents. The name was changed to the snappier “Subway” in 1968, and the pair decided to start franchising to fuel the chain’s growth.

By 1988, the company had 2,000 locations. By 1990, it reached the 5,000-store mark. And by 1994, it had more than 8,000 locations.

Subway, based in Milford, Connecticut, is privately held and has given the public few glimpses into its inner workings. But in July 2013, the company announced that DeLuca had been diagnosed with leukemia. It said DeLuca was in regular contact with his management team, but on a reduced basis as he received treatment.

READ MORE: Subway’s latest challenge; getting out from Jared’s shadow

Earlier this summer, Subway announced that DeLuca’s younger sister, Suzanne Greco, would take over as president and oversee day-to-day operations.

In his book “Start Small Finish Big: Fifteen Key Lessons to Start – and Run – Your Own Successful Business,” DeLuca recalled living in public housing in the Bronx as a child. His father hadn’t graduated high school, but his mother had stressed the importance of education while growing up.

After he graduated high school, DeLuca had planned on becoming a doctor. That was why he started the sub shop with Buck – to support his college education.

“It wasn’t intended to support me forever,” DeLuca wrote.

DeLuca is survived by his wife, son and sister, according to Subway.

©2015

Phyllis Whitsell was always told her biological parents had died of tuberculosis, but she never really believed it.

“Throughout my childhood I was convinced, somehow, that my mother was alive. I told myself that one day, when I was old enough, I would track her down,” the 59-year-old told the Birmingham Mail.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

Abandoned at eight months old and adopted at age 4, Whitsell was raised in Birmingham, U.K., and grew up to become a nurse.

Determined to find her birth parents, she tracked down her original birth certificate and even found a staff member at the orphanage where she was left as a baby.

“She was reluctant to tell me much about my mother but it was clear that she disapproved of her,” said Whitsell. “I had no idea why – I thought it was just because she had handed me over to the orphanage at such a young age.”

After more investigating, Whitsell found her mother, Bridget Ryan. She was an alcoholic living in the red light district of Birmingham, known locally as “Tipperary Mary.”

“She wasn’t the fairy-tale figure I had imagined, but she was still my mother,” said Whitsell.

As a district nurse, Whitsell decided on her own to include Bridget in her daily visitation route, taking care of her ill mother.

“I took her clean clothes, bathed her wounds and got her to talk about the five children she had given away, including me,” said Whitsell.

“The day she spoke affectionately of ‘little Phyllis’ and told me my birth date accurately was the best, and the worst, day of my life.”

From 1981, Whitsell took care of Bridget until her death in 1990. She never told Bridget who she really was.

Whitsell continues to take care of others in a nursing home and has written a book called Finding Tipperary Mary about finding and getting to know her mother.

©2015

Stephen Colbert asked tennis star Novak Djokovic – fresh off his U.S. Open grand slam win – to help him start Monday night’s show and you might get a kick out of how Colbert protected himself.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

Related

  • Elon Musk suggests nuking Mars on ‘The Late Show with Stephen Colbert’

  • Stephen Colbert: 1st show almost didn’t make it

  • Stephen Colbert begins a new era as host of ‘The Late Show’

“Champion Novak Djokovic is going to fire tennis balls at me,” The Late Show host explained as he headed to the rear of the stage to retrieve a hidden object. “While I protect myself with Captain America’s shield.”

“In this scenario, I’m the new Captain America and you’re the captain of Hydra’s tennis team.”

‘Cap’ went on to ask the world’s top-ranked male player how hard his serve can be.

“130 miles per hour,” Djokovic replied. That’s 209 kilometres per hour.

The Serbian nailed Colbert with his first shot. And even though it looked like he took some steam off of it, that’s much better than having to look for a new Late Show host…again.

©2015

EDMONTON – An Edmonton Catholic School Board meeting got extremely heated Tuesday evening as trustees were expected to vote on a proposed policy regarding gender identity and inclusion.

After several hours of back and forth, the topic was eventually put off until next month’s meeting. That decision had a member of Edmonton’s transgender community calling on Alberta’s education minister to step in.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

Related

  • Web series celebrates personal stories of transgender people across Canada

“I call on the Minister of Education, David Eggen, to immediately address this issue by imposing an appropriate policy or desolving (sp) the ECSD Board of Trustees. Further, I call on the Minister to set guidelines for all school boards in Alberta to follow in such cases,” Marni Panas wrote in a blog following the meeting Tuesday.

The proposed policy, which Panas was involved in drafting, would allow students to use the washrooms and change rooms with which they identify, play on sports teams of their choosing and change their school records to align with their gender identities.

Panas said via 桑拿会所 she was in tears watching the meeting online from overseas.

READ MORE: Majority of Alberta Catholics support gay-straight alliances: poll

The policy was developed after controversy arose over a transgender elementary school student who wanted to use the girls’ washroom. She was told by a teacher that she had to use the school’s gender-neutral bathroom instead.

Education Minister David Eggen said Wednesday morning he found the comments made by some of the trustees. to be “entirely unacceptable and quite disturbing.”

“What is a sensitive, important issue in regards to human rights broke and dissolved into acrimony,” said Eggen. “I don’t expect that I will see that again and if it does so there will be consequences.”

“I expect a higher standard from all elected officials here, generally in Alberta, and specifically with Edmonton Catholic.”

Eggen said he spoke with board chair Debbie Engel Wednesday morning and she assured him the board “will move forward to build a coherent transgender policy.”

Eggen said he will be monitoring the situation very carefully and expects it will be dealt with as soon as possible.

READ MORE: 16×9’s “Gender Identity”

“We know that it is our responsibility under the School Act and the responsibility of Edmonton Catholic under the School Act to ensure that we have safe, caring and secure places for all students.”

The girl’s mother, who has asked her name not be published, spoke before the meeting Tuesday to say she was there “not only for my child but all the transgender children in the Catholic system.”

“Today is not only about the rights, responsibility and obligations of care of all children, it’s also about accountability of our actions,” the mother said before getting cut off due to a three-minute time allowance.

READ MORE: Local mother accuses Edmonton Catholic School Board of discrimination

Before discussions on the policy began Tuesday, Trustee Cindy Olsen hoped to pass an amendment to drop the topic from the agenda. Olsen said the board needed more time to discuss the draft policy and consult with parents.

“My intention was to give the board time to discuss and provide an opportunity for consultation on an inclusion policy.  My comments and intent last night was to remove the item temporarily from the agenda which would give us time to discuss and consult with our community,” Olsen said in a statement Wednesday afternoon.

After pushback from other trustees – Vice-Chair Marilyn Bergstra in particular – a vote was held and the discussion went ahead as planned. Tempers in the room and on social media quickly flared, with a clear divide on the topic.

In the end, trustees voted in favour of referring the vote on the policy until Oct. 15 with the hope that more discussion and consultation can take place.

The trustees then voted to end the meeting. All other issues on Tuesday’s agenda were put on hold.

Parents of transgender Edmonton student search for answers

02:38

Parents of transgender Edmonton student search for answers

02:26

Washroom decision up to school

05:08

Supports for transgender people

04:01

Marni Panas on gender identity

04:29

Local transgender woman talks about the journey of going public

02:49

New rules make it easier for transgender Albertans to change birth documents

04:17

Transgender woman recognized




Following the meeting, Archbishop Richard Smith released the statement below, saying in part, “The Council of Catholic School Superintendents of Alberta has approved a resource document intended to assist Catholic school divisions in formulating policies and procedures to address the needs of students around gender identity and expression.”

The Archbishop encouraged trustees to consider CCSSA resources when drafting district policies.

Read the full statement below. 

View this document on Scribd

With files from Kent Morrison, Slav Kornik, Global News.

©2015